F7 now super slow, will it infect Fedora 8?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Feb 4 23:53:07 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 18:13 -0500,  wrote:
>>> Taking minutes to finish booting could also point the finger at name
>>> resolution not working, if you have services that need to know their
>>> network addresses.

Doug Purdy:
> Tim, the FC2 computer is just a normal desktop install and it's not
> providing nor using shared directories or databases. There are only 8
> computers and a network printer on this home LAN.

Doesn't have to be.  Sendmail starts, usually, on a machine, and if that
can't resolve the machine's address, booting gets delayed.  X may need
to resolve the local address, and then there's applications that display
something graphically...

I note, later on, your comment about memory might be the problem.  It'd
be odd for memory to go funny on two computers at the same time, but
wouldn't be odd for recently updated software or configurations on both
computers to have a problem.  Did you change anything on both of them
recently?

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.