synaptics touchpad driver sensitivity

Marcelo Magno T. Sales mmtsales at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 12:42:24 UTC 2008

Em Ter 05 Fev 2008, David Kramer escreveu:
> I have a Dell Latitude D820 running F8, but I have the same problem
> with pretty much every touchpad.  The problem is not how much the
> cursor moves as I move my fingers on the pad.  There's plenty of
> documentation on that.
>
> My problem is that as I type, I sometimes find the cursor flying to a
> completely different region, so if I'm typing an email, all of a
> sudden my typing is going three rows above where I was typing, like
> the pressure of my hands on the laptop case is enough to trigger the
> touchpad.  I would like to change the amount of pressure to be
> considered mouse down.
>
> Looking at the documentation for synaptics, it looks like there's a
> setting called FingerLow and another called FingerHigh which I think
> will adjust the pressure needed.  I didn't want to try it without
> asking first, lets I render X windows unusable.

In KDE, there is ksynaptics, which is capable of configuring various
aspects of the synaptics driver. One thing it's possible to do with it
is automatically disabling the touchpad while you're typing, enabling
it again when you stop typing. This will probably solve your problem.
Don't know the gnome equivalent for this application.

[]'s
Marcelo