Playing DVD interfers with modem?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Feb 5 15:28:59 UTC 2008

Ric Moore wrote:

> # setserial /dev/ttyS0
> /dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
>
> Looks good. Man, it's been awhile since back when I managed 4 modems
> each on two machines for my BBS. That route was cheaper than those
> specialty serial cards. Worked like a dream. Didn't have DvD's back then
> either. Gonna try playing "Time Bandits" and send this email!

You mean those 8 port cards with the funny cable ending in either 8
DB25 connectors or a breakout box? Digi<something>. I had 2 of them,
but they had 16450 UARTS. On one, the UARTS were socketed, so the
ones that had hi-speed modems got upgraded to 16550A's. They worked
under Linux as well. I ended up scrapping 14 2400 baud modems. A
couple of ports ended up connecting to another machine running
"door" games. Funny thing - you could not reliably connect two of
the ports together - they would drop data.

Mikkel