installing source rpm packages (.src.rpm) via yum and yumex?

Gabriel M. Elder eldergabriel at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 6 22:28:21 UTC 2008

I've spent some time trying to find a way to install source rpms from
the source repos using yum and yumex, thus far to no avail. The various
internet search engines didn't turn up anything really useful regarding
this.

I've enabled the fedora-source repository by manually editing
the /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo file. I came across a suggestion to add
the line: "repo_exclude =" to /etc/yumex.conf, which allows all repos to
be listed in the "Repository Selection View" in yumex. I was surprised
to learn that yumex does not show the source and debuginfo repos in this
list by default, even if they are enabled.

I've checked out the man page, but apparently there is no command-line
option for yum to tell it to install a given source package. Nor have I
been able to find any sort of gui control in yumex that would assist me
towards this end. Pirut doesn't seem to offer this feature, either.

This is almost making me want to use apt (which seems faster overall,
anyway).

So... what am I missing here, folks? Is it possible to install a source
rpm from a source repo via yum or yumex? If so, how? Has this capability
just not been implemented yet? Or should i just wget what i need and
forget about using yum to fetch sources?

tia,
- gabriel