installing source rpm packages (.src.rpm) via yum and yumex?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Wed Feb 6 23:02:45 UTC 2008

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> yum will not install source rpms as far as I know. You can download the
> src rpm: x.src.rpm
> then run: rpm -i x.src.rpm
> which will put a file : x.spec in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
> Then run: rpmbuild -bb x.spec
> which will put a rpm: x.rpm in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS
> That rpm can be installed as usual: rpm -i x.rpm

And, for what's probably the zillionth time on this list, it is never
desirable to install or build source rpms as root.  Instead, install
and build as a normal user.  You can use the handy rpmdev-setuptree
script from the rpmdevtools package to create the directory structure
and config file needed for this.  See the draft building packages
guide for more info:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/BuildingPackagesGuide

The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his
ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic.
    -- H. L. Mencken