upgrade question

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Feb 9 01:42:30 UTC 2008

Peter Horst wrote:
> I'm looking for opinions/feedback: I've got a CLI-only fc5 machine
> sitting here.  I would like to use it for two things - serving simple
> webpages (no scripts, no nothing); and running sshd.
>
> Would it be more or less arduous/dangerous/unwise to:
>
> 1. upgrade the whole thing to the current fc release OR
> 2. upgrade manually the:
>    a. webserver
>    b. kernel
>    c. sshd server
>
> Opinions?  Any feedback gratefully received.

Backup your data and install CentOS - it has a much longer support span,
and being cli only - you don't need the fancy graphical apps of a Fedora
release.

Install CentOS 5.1 and you can leave it alone for a very long time, it
will take care of updates for years.

Given that you only want cli stuff - unless you are on dialup I'd
recommend just downloading the CentOS 5.1 boot.iso and do a http
install, so you don't have to download several gigs worth of bits on a
DVD iso that you'll never use.

If you are on dialup, find someone nice to send you the DVD (or CD set).