how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Sat Feb 9 22:19:13 UTC 2008

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 23:03:47 +0100
Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bluray burners are also coming down in price... I like that also as an
> option.
>
> I don't want to use tape.

I was never much of a fan of tape myself, either, having spent far too many
hours trying to re-thread QIC tapes that ran off of its spool.  That's why,
you'll notice, I use a fileserver to do backups.

Bluray burners and the like suffer from the same failing as your initial DVD
scheme, though.  They still require manual attention, swapping of disks and so
on.  On the other hand, a tape of sufficient capacity can be changed out daily,
or once a week, or whatever, and you don't have to sit there waiting for it to
finish writing like you will find yourself doing with DVDs and Bluray and
whatnot.

The fileserver solution, though, is in my opinion the simplest of all.   My
fileserver lives on top of a cement block in an out-of-the-way corner of my
basement where it is cheerfully ignored.  Backups happen every night on
schedule, I have reports of success, failure or "unusual circumstances" in my
inbox every morning when I get up and check my email, and nothing else is
required on my part at all.