how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at panet.co.yu
Sun Feb 10 13:18:49 UTC 2008

On Sunday 10 February 2008 03:57, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Saturday 09 February 2008, Craig White wrote:
> > Assuming facts not in evidence...the original question:
> > > How would you backup 1TB of data in a server with 4x 250GB drives all
> > > mounted as separate mount points to a set of dvds using tools
> > > available in fedora, centos or rhel?
>
> The original question could have been for a one-shot operation.
[snip]
> The OP further explained himself that he really only wanted to backup 50GB
> of that.  At the 50GB level for a possible one-shot backup, possibly
> practical, as 12 data DVD's in a modern drive wouldn't take too long.  Do
> two while you're at it.

Just for the record, the OP noted he would do backups on a monthly basis:

> I asked for a backup to DVDs, I need a cheap solution for chunks of
> 50GB every month.

The question that OP didn't answer is whether the data is of such type that a
new backup obsoletes the old one or not. If he doesn't need the old backup
once the new one is created, it would be silly to use dvds. Maybe dvd-rw, if
the OP insists on optical media, but those are more prone to fail. OTOH, if
he needs to keep the old backups as well as the latest one, he needs to think
where he would store 150 discs each year. In any case, I would also suggest
non-optical solutions...

Best, :-)
Marko