how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Mon Feb 11 06:14:56 UTC 2008

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008, Jacques B. wrote:

> <snip>
> > For all I know the OP has them or is willing to get them.
> > What is the answer if he needs a write-once medium?

Apparently the answer is DVDs.

> Bottom line, the OP did not clearly outline his specific needs (even
> at this point it's not clear enough to confidently suggest something
> that would address all the OP's requirements).  That alone will cause
> advice to be all over the radar.  Your question above is just one
> example of many that remain unanswered.  The OP has apparently dropped

So what?
If I ask directions to a particular grocery store,
I don't need to be told I don't need a grocery store.
If he is smart enough to use all the wonderful advice he got,
he is certainly smart enough to realize that storing 10**12 bytes
on 4*10**9 byte disks will take a lot of disks.
If not, he certainly learned it quickly enough and still wanted DVDs.

If you want someone to take your advice,
don't start by proving to him that you think he is stupid.
The best way to hint that you don't think he's
stupid is to answer his question as asked.
It might be deception, but not all deception is bad.
Also, it's easy.
A system with few constraints has many answers.
'Twas only necessary to give him one.
A close second is to ask a question that
doesn't suggest you think he is stupid.
"How soon do you need to be done?" is such a question.
"What would you want to do THAT for?" is not.

> out of this discussion.  Without his involvement we are all just
> speculating anyhow so we could argue until the cows come home as some
> would say and we'll still never agree what will best meet the OPs
> needs because we really don't know his full needs/wants.  For that
> reason I'm moving on (much to the pleasure of those fed up with this
> growing thread I'm sure).

"There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb,
and he almost deserved it."                   --    C. S. Lewis