how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Mon Feb 11 14:14:17 UTC 2008

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Michael Hennebry wrote:
>

> >> <snip>
> >
> > Apparently the answer is DVDs.
>
> Tapes with write protect latches would work for me. But my policy on

It would me too, but it doesn't satisfy the specification.
The *medium* is not write-only.
Even if glued in place, the write-protect latch
is only a flag to respectiable hardware.
If I fear, correctly or otherwise, editing by people
with non-respectable hardware tape doesn't work.

> backups is to keep 3 copies of anything important and don't let the
> person who wrecked the first 2 touch the 3rd one.

"Those parts of the system that you can hit with a hammer (not advised)
are called Hardware;  those program instructions that you can only
curse at are called Software."