Sharing printers between Fedora machines

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Feb 11 17:43:14 UTC 2008

Sean Bruno wrote:
> While I thought this was a simple task, it seems that I am clueless.
>
> I attempted to share my desktop printer for other PC's in the house and
> I can't seem to figure out how to attach to the printers.  It doesn't
> seem clear from system-config-printer what I am supposed to do and my
> google for "fedora printer share how to" didn't really give me anything
> useful.
>
> Am I missing something obvious that is supposed to make sharing between
> Fedora machines painless?
>
> Sean

It should be as simple as connecting to http://localhost:631/admin
on your desktop, and making sure that you have checked:

Show printers shared by other systems
Share published printers connected to this system

I think you will also need "Allow printing from the Internet".
You will have to enter root as the user name and root's password
when you click on change settings. (Unless you have changed this in
the cups configuration.) As long as the printer is published, it
should show up on the other Fedora machines. as long as they have
"Show printers shared by other systems" enabled.

Mikkel