how would you backup 1TB of data to dvds?

John Wendel john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil
Mon Feb 11 18:30:02 UTC 2008

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> How would you backup 1TB of data in a server with 4x 250GB drives all
> mounted as separate mount points to a set of dvds using tools
> available in fedora, centos or rhel?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Valent.

A couple of minor points ...

Writing a dual layer DVD takes 45 minutes - not 10 minutes. You're
looking at 3 days of continuous burning. The drive will need some cool
down time.

Dual layers are too expensive at this time (~ 1.00 US / disk)

You could build a DVD server with 4 (or more) drives. Should make the
process a lot faster. Fairly cheap if you get an old used P4,
shouldn't cost more than $200 US.

Tools? No, I just do it by hand using K3B. Wastes a lot of time.

I backup lots of video to DVDs, I've currently got 800 DVDS. IT'S A
FRIKIN NIGHTMARE!

Regards,

John