No Sound in Fedora Core 8

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 14 14:12:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 11:17 +0700, Nguyễn Văn Thoại wrote:
> I've upgraded my system from FC4 to FC8 and got no sound.
> In FC4, the sound system worked just perfectly. However, in FC8, it
> doesn't work anymore.
> The funny thing is that when I launch the "Soundcard Detection"
> program, it works (?!)
> Has anyone faced this problem before?
> Please help :)
I have faced it and have complained about it for a month.

It is hard to know where to start.
Are the drivers for your card loaded? Check with lsmod
Do you have pulseaudio installed?
What sound does not work? Can you play a audio CD?
Have you installed audio codecs?
What audio card are you using?

These are amongthe things wwe need to know to help you.

It's always darkest just before the lights go out. -- Alex Clark
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net