Fedora 8 iso image corrupted ?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 12:47:22 UTC 2008

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:22:06 +0000, Pedro Freire wrote:

> I don't know if this an image problem or download corruption,

Did you verify the SHA1SUM of your downloaded copy?

> but before
> I download almost 4G again I ask this:

No need to download everything again. Take a few minutes to learn
how to use rsync, pick an rsync server from the Fedora list of mirrors,
then "fix" your downloaded file with rsync.

> I downloaded via direct download the Fedora 8 dvd iso image and burned
> it with K3b.

As above, did you ask k3b to verify the burnt DVD?

> When I try to install it it always stops with error in lohit-fonts-xxxx
>
> I already unselected them during custom installation but for some reason
> the install stops with the error nevertheless. I suppose this is due to
> some dependency but I don't know what.
>
> First: anyone got this error before ?
> Second: the install process shouldn't stop at this point! (the only
> options here are 'retry' or 'reboot'. Why not 'ignore' and I would
> install these fonts later ?

In this case it is just a fonts package, but if a more important
package were corrupted, the installer should not let you create a
damaged installation that doesn't work. Just don't install from
bad/unverified installation media.