USB external hard drive disconnecting

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Feb 15 17:45:48 UTC 2008

Reid Rivenburgh wrote:

> Pardon following up to myself, but something just occurred to me.  I
> was thinking that autofs would be beneficial in that it would allow
> the drive to go to sleep, if that's what it was doing.  (It gets
> pretty hot when always on, for one thing.)  Autofs would just wake it
> up when needed.  But now I'm realizing that if it goes to sleep, it'll
> probably disconnect, the kernel will lose any knowledge of it, and
> autofs won't be able to wake it up after all.  I guess I still need to
> prevent it from going to sleep.  Harumph!
>
> reid

How hot is "pretty hot"? Is it possible that the drive electronics
are overheating? You might need a better external case.

It would be nice if you could change the power save settings of the
drive, but I have not figured out how to do that on a USB connected
drive. I wish I could be of more help...

Mikkel