slow (s-l-o-w) install

zephod at cfl.rr.com zephod at cfl.rr.com
Sat Feb 16 16:33:20 UTC 2008

---- Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:
> One of my computers folded its tent.  I usually use that as an excuse to
> upgrade so I purchased a new Intel dual-core machine with 4gb of ram and a
> 500gb hard drive.
>
> Now I'm trying to install F8/x86_64 on it, and the installer is running
> amazingly slowly.  It took about ten minutes before the initial graphical
> screen showed up, and things have been running amazingly slowly ever since.  It
> has been running for about 90 minutes now and I've just finished answering the
> questions, the disk has finally formatted and I have now arrived at the
> "Starting install process. This may take several minutes" screen.  I guess that
> means this will finish installing but at this rate it may take all night.
>
> What's holding up the parade?

I had a similar problem when F8 first came out and I tried to load it on an HP 7700dc (I think) machine. It wasn't just slow loading either. When the load was finished, the computer ran so slowly as to be useless. The thread was called something like "really, really slow computer"

It turned out the problem was a comboination of the kernel and the BIOS. I needed at least a 2.6.22 kernel and a 2.0 BIOS.

See if you can upgrade your BIOS.

Steve.