WiFi LAN access, but not WAN access.

Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 18 18:29:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 06:54:04 +0000, Da Rock wrote:

>> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>> From: m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
>> Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 04:48:05 +0000 Subject: WiFi LAN access, but not
>> WAN access.
>>
>> On FC8 with my dual boot laptop, in the process of testing
>> wpa_supplicant with my Actiontec router, I had a situation in which I
>> could ping within my LAN, but but not the WAN. Other boxes on my LAN,
>> had no problem contacting the WAN. So I shut of the encryption, and
>> made unencrypted WiFi contact.  Still, I could contact the LAN but not
>> the WAN. Then I made a wired Ethernet connection from the test laptop.
>> In that case, everything worked for WAN and LAN. Then I went back to
>> wireless.  It all worked, with and without encryption.
>>
>> So I am living happily ever after, but I fear I may be in a fool's
>> paradise.  Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike.
>>
>> --
>
> What is your dhcp settings for the wifi? Same as lan? Also check route
> settings- is the gateway correct for wifi? I had to set my dhclient to
> supersede gateway so that I had wan access on both lan and wlan.
>
> Hope that helps- maybe. Any further info (inc. vague topology) and or
> config might help to work out your sit.
[...]

I am running a dual boot laptop with WinXP and FC8.  WinXP makes the
connection with no problem.  I have tested both DHCP and static IP,
and I get the same results.

I have, I think, solved the problem.  It appears that both wpa_supplicant
and Network Service Control must me manually activated.  Network Service
Control showing "Active" is not good enough.  Depending on the
sequence of things, it may be necessary to click Deactivate (if this
closes the window, reopen it) and then click Activate.  It then becomes
fully functional.

I hope this is cleaned up in future versions.

Mike.