run of alsa-info-sh suceeded.

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 18 21:41:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 21:36 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Friday 15 February 2008 13:34, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> > > Hi Aaron. The output from running the script on F8 is very incomplete.
> > > I've asked the question on the alsa-devel list, as to whether the script
> > > works with ISA cards as it does with PCI cards, but no answer yet.
> > >
> > > Tell me though. You say you ran the script on F7. Is that on the same
> > > machine as F8, and the same cs4236 ISA soundcard?
> > >
> > > I don't want to drag this out, as you have the sounds working now, but it
> > > would be nice to find out why you have had to add
> > > http://pastebin.ca/904944 a modprobe snd-cs4236 line to /etc/rc.local
> > > since FC6 for the ISA module to be loaded.
> > >
> > > Nigel.
> >
> > As I said I know it is incomplete but I willing to have you draw it out
> > till we find an answer. The f7 is on a different machine and thee script
> > output canbe seen at:
> >  http://pastebin.ca/904944
> >
> > It seems clear that this script works only for pci cards. Let me know
> > what you find out since this has been a real pain.
>
> Well this is all I got from my Q to the alsa-devel list.
>
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> >
> > I've been trying to help someone out on the Fedora list, who has had
> problems
> > with snd-cs4236 since FC6, where he had to add "modprobe snd-cs4236"
> > to /etc/rc.local to get the module to load. With Fedora 8 the problem got
> > worse, and sound would only work as root. Using a tip from someone else on
> > the list, added lines for sound, and cdrom
> > in /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms, and the sound now works
> as
> > user.
>
> It's a problem with HAL/udev.
>
> > I asked him to run alsa-info.sh, having got the sound working, but there is
> > very limited output, as below.
> >
> > http://pastebin.ca/903074
> >
> > The question is, should the script work as well with ISA cards, as it does
> > with PCI ones?
>
> It shouldn't fail, at least.  Judging from the output, it seems that
> some command failed and the script quitted?
>

> Takashi
> _________
> Sorry Aaron, this is probably not much help. Personally I'm not clued up about
> Hal, and Udev. I still have problems with the ordering of video devices with
> udev, but enough said on that issue, as I use a workaround.
>
> Frustrating Eh! Nigel.

Yeah, but I appreciate your trying to chase the problem down. But since
sound now works I'll live with it until f9 which I bet will have more
problems. Another solution is to replace this old computer.
Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who
Mourns for Adonais?" stardate 3468.1
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net