Low level formatting - [was Re: slow (s-l-o-w) install (TRY)]

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 03:46:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 12:01 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:

> I used to have (probably still have, somewhere) a DOS program that would test
> your drive access speeds and optimize the interleave for maximum speed.  It
> worked really well.

Would that work on the drives we have to day?? Remember the size
limitations for DOS? That would be a screamer to have, if it could
handle gigabyte sized drives! I used to have that one too, back in the
good ole days.

We used to grab our fidonet mail and news files via satellite. You got
everything all they had, all at once, and then tossed away what you
didn't need or subscribe to. I don't say I miss it though. <grins> It
was a true hassle, at times. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar