Video interference & slow running solved but...

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Wed Feb 20 20:45:09 UTC 2008

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:26:59 -0800 (PST)
TNWestTex <mcforum at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> The proprietary drivers do a better job but
> Fedora is changing faster than the updates to the drivers.

I decided to take the easy way out and installed the proprietary driver last
night from Livna.  It detected my monitor and set up the resolution correctly
all by itself.

The line of least resistance seems to be to install the proprietary driver and
just buy a new card when it's no longer officially supported.  Since this card
only cost me $99, I'm not too worried about it.  I can probably replace it with
another ATI card in the future and the computer wouldn't even notice the
difference.  Or it may last the life of this computer.

Interestingly enough, glxgears gave me just over 1000 fps using the Intel
on-board video.  glxgears with this ATI proprietary driver gives me just over
5000 fps.