Worthless daemon

Simon Sekidde sekidde at cableone.net
Wed Feb 20 21:42:14 UTC 2008

The default version of yum-updatesd does not function reliably. If you
wish, you can apply updates through a cron job like this

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/yum -R 120 -e 0 -d 0 -y update yum
/usr/bin/yum -R 10 -e 0 -d 0 -y update

Steps

chkconfig yum-updatesd off

touch yum.cron and using an editor include the above lines making it
executable and then place it in /etc/cron.daily or /etc/cron.weekly

Cheers

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 01:27:02PM -0800, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> TNWestTex wrote:
> >What daemon gives these messages?  I have systems that do not connect to
> >the
> >internet so yum.updatesd is meaningless.  I've disabled the service to
> >eliminate the annoying popups but still get these messages to the console.
> >
> > Unable to connect to yum-updatesd.  Please ensure that the yum-updatesd
> >package is installed and that the service is running.
> >Unable to connect to yum-updatesd.  Please ensure that the yum-updatesd
> >package is installed and that the service is running.
> >Unable to connect to yum-updatesd.  Please ensure that the yum-updatesd
> >package is installed and that the service is running.
> >Unable to connect to yum-updatesd.  Please ensure that the yum-updatesd
> >package is installed and that the service is running.
> >Unable to connect to yum-updatesd.  Please ensure that the yum-updatesd
> >package is installed and that the service is running.
> >Unable to connect to yum-updatesd.  Please ensure that the yum-updatesd
> >package is installed and that the service is running.
> >Unable to connect to yum-updatesd.  Please ensure that the yum-updatesd
> >package is installed and that the service is running.
> >Unable to connect to yum-updatesd.  Please ensure that the yum-updatesd
> >package is installed and that the service is running.
> >Max failures exceeded, exiting now
> >
> >These "features" should be opt in!!
> >
> >Robert McBroom
>
> I think it one of the gnome daemons that starts when you log into gnome
> - and I believe you can turn it off.
>
> --

Simon Sekidde
gpg: 98A6 8D22 578C FFCE F6F8  FC80 94D4 2451 1E8B 049D