What to do?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Feb 22 20:30:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:12:25 -0700,
  Scott <geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com> wrote:

> Distro upgrades have been ill-advised since day one (although it's
> getting better). Personally I *never* do upgrades from one version to
> another, regardless of OS. It's just so much cleaner (and easier in the
> long run) to back up your files and do a fresh install.

With the yum tools getting better, its actually pretty easy to clean things
up now after an upgrade.
You generally need to check for orphans (package-cleanup --orphans), dupes
(package-cleanup --dupes) and incorrectly installed packages (rpm -Va),
and config file changes (find /etc --type f '*.rpm*').
This can be easier than doing a fresh install followed by recustomization.