Open-ended comment about F8 and above hardware issues

Michael W Cocke cocke at catherders.com
Sat Feb 23 00:36:16 UTC 2008

Just a passing comment - hopefully it will start a discussion and I'll
learn something.  I have a pair of seriously hacked P4 systems (3 IDE
controllers including the motherboard, all IDE controllers fully
populated, 2 NICs, 3.6+ TB, 2 GB of ram).  I can install Fedora 7 on
them and it works pretty well 'out of the box'.  Try to go to any
higher version and the installer dies, or data is corrupted as it's
written, or any number of other bad things.

What did they change that makes such a huge difference?  I know the
hardware is weird and I'd understand if Fedora never worked, but it
worked great - up to F8.

Mike-
--
If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough.