Help with the yum lock

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Feb 24 16:16:08 UTC 2008

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 12:49 -0800, TNWestTex wrote:
>> ,
>>
>> Wayne Smith-3 wrote:
>>> I can't get around the yum lock. Every time I turn on my computer, I
>>> can't get into the package manager or install any new packages.
>>>
>>> It's not yum updates, I've already tried that. I need to be able to
>>> install packages. Is there a way around yum lock or a way to disable
>>> it???????
>>>
>> A failed update, power glitch, etc. can leave a lock.  It can be deleted
>> from /var/lock/subsys as root.  It has been a while since I had to do that
>> so I don't remember the exact file name, but I think it is easy to note.
>
> Typically, /var/run/yum.pid

You can write a small script for rc.local which checks all the lock
files and deletes the ones which hold the PID of a process not running.
It really should be run sooner, but that will simplify the job.

Doing it by hand is acceptable unless your system goes down hard a lot.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>