how to install man pages?

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Feb 29 00:31:18 UTC 2008

On 28Feb2008 14:30, Mike Wright <mike.wright at mailinator.com> wrote:
> I've two fc6 boxes that for whatever reason have different parts of the man
> pages installed.

Weird. Had damage?

> One has the man pages for mdadm.conf(5) but none for mdadm.  The other has
> man pages for mdadm.conf(5) and mdadm(8).  "man 8 mdadm" refers to mdadm(4)
> which exists on neither.  Note that neither box is running a raid array!?
> (%#*&!;D)
> Can anybody enlighten me on how to install some/any/all man pages for
> some/any/all applications?

The easiest thing is to reinstall the "mdadm" package in this case.
On my fc7 box it has all these pages:

  [/u/cameron]finola*> rpm -qf $(which mdadm)
  mdadm-2.6.2-4.fc7
  [/u/cameron]finola*1> rpm -ql mdadm
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/mdmonitor
  /sbin/mdadm
  /sbin/mdadm.static
  /sbin/mdassemble.static
  /usr/share/doc/mdadm-2.6.2
  /usr/share/doc/mdadm-2.6.2/COPYING
  /usr/share/doc/mdadm-2.6.2/ChangeLog
  /usr/share/doc/mdadm-2.6.2/TODO
  /usr/share/doc/mdadm-2.6.2/mdadm.conf-example
  /usr/share/doc/mdadm-2.6.2/syslog-events
  /usr/share/man/man4/md.4.gz
  /usr/share/man/man5/mdadm.conf.5.gz
  /usr/share/man/man8/mdadm.8.gz
  /usr/share/man/man8/mdassemble.8.gz
  /var/run/mdadm

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Are you experiencing more Windows95 crashes than the norm? How on earth
would you _know_?       - John Brook <johnb at research.canon.com.au>
                          reporting about a new virus