cannot set speed to 1000/FD

Steven C. Liu sliu at steven-c-liu.com
Fri Feb 29 22:25:35 UTC 2008

David Timms wrote:
> Steven C. Liu wrote:
>> I recently replaced a FE 3Com card in my Linux server (hostname is
>> imladris) with a Netgear GigE card.  I am unable to set it to 1000FD,
>> no matter what I do.  I tried forcing it using 'ethtool -s', and
>> setting autoneg off and on.  Rebooting didn't help.  Using a
>> different port on my GigE switch/hub didn't help.
>>
>> BTW - I also put a duplicate Netgear GigE card into another Linux
>> server (hostname is numenor; additional NIC, not a replacement -- if
>> it  matters).  On numenor, that NIC is at 1000FD.
>>
>> I have not yet tried swapping the port and ethernet cable between
>> imladris and numenor...
> That would be a great first check - eliminate everything you can.
>
> Are you using a cable with all 4 pairs correctly wired {for 1Gb},
> whereas only two pair {for 100Mb} ?
>
> Are you using a switch ? If not the crossover has to crossover 4-pairs
> correctly !
>
> Is it a reasonable distance ? proper cat 6 cable ?
>
> DaveT.

Thanks to Mr. Timms and one other gentleman for responding...

My problem was indeed due to using a very old cable.  I don't have any
cat 6 cables, but I found that cat 5e cables work well enough for me.
In due time, I will likely eliminate my older cables and replace them
with cat 6.  But, that is a project for a different day.

Steve