google mail and thunderbird -

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 23:17:53 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:

>  My ISP, Wildblue.net, has switched all their e-mail accounts to "gmail."
>
>  I am accustomed to having all my mail neatly sorted into directories
>  with Thunderbird mail.
>
>  Suddenly I have almost 800 messages dumped into one list broken into
>  pages of fifty lines.  I found a rudimentary filter system but it
>  doesn't appear to sort my mail into directories as I am accustomed to?
>  Or I may be missing something ...
>
>  Can someone tell me how to deal with this mess?  At least point me in
>  the right direction.  I am still in shock and not sure what to do next!
>
>  Bob Goodwin
>
>  --

When I started using Gmail, my first reaction was the same as yours.
Where are my folders?  But after getting used to the filters, it's
actually pretty good.  Think of your filters as your folders.  Set up
a filter for each "folder".  Then you set up a filtering rule where
possible to automatically apply labels to mail as they come in much
like you would have mail sent to a folder as it comes in.  You can
apply multiple labels to a single message.  So for example a message
could be labeled "Fedora List" and "Apache" if that message related to
both Fedora listserv and to apache at the same time.

Having said that you can POP or IMAP a gmail account.  Simply go under
account settings and enable POP or IMAP (whichever you want).  Newer
versions of Thunderbird actually allow you to create a Gmail account
so it configures the ports properly for you.  You can then
send/receive messages from Thunderbird and have them saved in your
webmail Gmail account as well so you can access your mail on the road
just as easily as from home.  You'll really appreciate gmail if you
use listservs much at all.  I don't delete anything.  I can use the
power of Google to search all my messages, only those labeled Fedora
List, or whatever.

Jacques B.