NetworkManager vs WEP - again

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 11:55:32 UTC 2008

On Dec 31, 2007 5:57 PM, DJ Delorie <dj at delorie.com> wrote:

> I just upgraded from FC6 to F8 and decided to give NM another chance.
> It still doesn't work with my WEP router.
>
> Info...
>
> F8 on Dell 6400 Inspiron
> IPW3945 card
> Belkin B/G/N AP - unencrypted
> Linksys B AP - encrypted
>

> What works...
>
> NM can see my wired network.  NM can see my unencrypted AP.  NM
> automatically switches between the two when I plug/unplug the ethernet
> cable.
>
> My XP laptop can see and connect to both wireless APs.
>
> "iwlist scan" sees both APs.
>
> system-config-network can connect to both APs.
>

> What doesn't work...
>
> NM cannot connect to the WEP-encrypted AP, with either 64 or 128 bit
> encryption.
>
> I keep getting "association took too long, asking for new key"
> timeouts.
>
> --

Hi DJ Delorie!

It would be good to look over dmesg, /var/log/messages and to have a
copy of the output of lspci -v -v -x -x.

The error would indicate something is wrong with your key.  Perhaps
the way it is input??

There is a lot going on in the Fedora camp to fix the busted
NetworkManager with wireless problems.  May the work go well,

Good Hunting!

Tod