VNC Server - Now no login on server

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 14:08:57 UTC 2008

On Dec 31, 2007 6:56 PM, Bob Hartung <rwhart at mchsi.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>    I just set up F8 with all updates.  Edited the vnc config files, set
> password or a username, and managed to start vncserver.  When I connect
> from a remote machine all I get is a slate gray screen with a cursor (an
> "x" ) but nothing else.
>
>    Then I went into System -> Network -> Sharing and set it to share the
> desktop (here I was logged in as root).
>
>    Now after a reboot, I get a cli for login but am unable to log in to
> the machine.
>
>    so my questions
>    1) is there a way to back out of the "Sharing" from the CLI?
>    2) what is the command to give GRUB on boot to get me to the CLI?  I
> thought that it was "linux 3" but I must have entered it incorrectly.
>
> TIA
>
> Bob
>
> --

Hi Bob!

To get to a root terminal one fairly easy way is to press escape as
soon as grub comes up.  This should allow you to see the boot options
and to edit them.  You need to carefully follow the instructions near
the bottom of the page.  What you want to do is change the line:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.8-34.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet

To be:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.8-34.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/1 single

and after editing boot the selection ("b").

You will see a lot of stuff running through the terminal as boot
occurs (not "quiet" you know) and you will land at a root terminal.

If you use the boot prompt try "linux rescue".

It is strange that you no longer boot to your GUI, it would probably
be good to capture or at least view /var/log/messages -
/var/log/Xorg.0.log and dmesg.

When you exit from this terminal you should move to level 5 (your
gui).  You can switch levels with init.   Command init 1 is the root
terminal you just used, init 5 is X.

To resolve the grey screen problem do a search on "vncviewer grey screen".

To resolve the file share problem (if you do not obtain X) google samba.

Good Hunting!

Tod