how to jigdo download a fedora 8 re-spin in one easy step?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Jan 2 18:31:20 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 02 January 2008, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   for the first time, i'd like to download the fedora 8 x86_64 re-spin
> > and, to be frank, there's not a single web page i've found that tells
> > me how to use jigdo to do it.

> Reading this thread just now, here's my response to your mail:

> http://fedorasolved.org/post-install-solutions/jigdo/

FWIW, I grabbed the Unity respin Friday (also grabbed the git of the config so
I could try my hand at building a respin with revisor; just fun to play with
in off time), and the only thing I found confusing was the output that
jigdo-lite throws at you.  It cycles through and says 'finished' more than
once; now, on my fast connection here (100Mb/s) it went by quickly, but I can
just imagine what it would have been like on even my DSL at home.

It wasn't too difficult, though, and since I keep a local mirror rsynced of
updates and Everything on a USB drive, I was even able to figure out in a few
minutes what to do to make jigdo-lite use that mirror.

But I'm not a newbie; but even then jigdo was a little strange.

As to changes to your already pretty good instructions, I would point out
that, if you edit the .jigdo to add local repositories, you need the
trailing '/' in the path.  For that matter, any path in the .jigdo needs the
trailing '/' to work, as jigdo doesn't add the slash if it isn't already
there, but just does a blind concatenate.

Also, having the sample output, and mentioning that, once jigdo-lite has
loaded in your CD/DVD or other existing files, you just need to press ENTER
every time it asks where to find the files (and it WILL ask).  Having a
sample run's output available as another page might be nice, since
jigdo-lite's output is so confusing.  The progress is very difficult to
follow (and I know that's a jigdo upstream issue, but having an explanation
of what to expect as the output in this case would help people tremendously)
unless you know to look for and pause at the 'x of y files' points in the
downloads.

Otherwise, it's pretty good as-is.  And, if no one else says this, I will:
Many Many Many thanks for the re-spins.  This makes installing fresh F8 much
much much more pleasant; I know that I personally don't want to have to
remember how to work around all those installer 'quirks' found in the
original F8 release every time I install it anew.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer