java again really

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Thu Jan 3 00:07:09 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 02 January 2008 05:46:06 pm Karl Larsen wrote:
>     I am going nuts with F8. I want to get jedit to work and the java is
> bad. I installed the latest version 6 but removed it to learn I am
> trying to use this java:
>
>  java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0-17.fc8
>
> I didn't load this special. It comes with F8. It has 30 dependencies
>
> :-)  I find when I try to delete it. By the way I HAVE deleted the
>
> icedtea rpm's that F8 loads. It appears that F8 has some java built in
> but it is too old to support jedit, or not big enough, or both.
>
>      A friend who has jedit working has these java files:
>
> glib-java-0.2.6-3.fc6
> libvte-java-0.12.1-6.el5
> libglade-java-2.12.5-3.fc6
> cairo-java-1.0.5-3.fc6
> libgtk-java-2.8.7-3.el5
> revamp_java-0.0-3.rhis
> libgconf-java-2.12.4-6.el5
> java-1.5.0-sun-plugin-1.5.0.13-1jpp.1.el5
> libgnome-java-2.12.4-3.fc6
> java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0-40jpp.112
> java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.13-1jpp.1.el5
>

> Does anyone know how I can get this list on my F8?
Well he has the propietory sun java on RHEL 5. ive found icedtea to be fine
for my needs

I suggest you read about the alternatives system

the java you have is gcj.  which is fine for many things but feature lacking
for some.  icedtea  is a version of Java 1.7 use it  make sure you have
alternatives using the right java

alternatives --display java

will show you what is available.

Dennis