alternative to `tar`

Ivan Virgili ivnmad at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 16:13:26 UTC 2008

Guillaume wrote:
> hi,
>
> actually, I use the tar utility to backup my fedora box to a file...
> After a full backup file is reach near 8GB, and when I want to restore
> some backuped files, it take veeerrrryyy long time (more than 1h30) to
> analyse/index the file and extract the needed folders. Is there a way
> to speed up the restore process with any options to tar, or, any other
> command utility to use for my backup.
>
> Thanks for your help.

These are my two alternatives.. and I use both:

- use tar, but exclude all the directories you do not need.
For ex. if you backup your home folder you can exclude .icons, the cache
folder from your browser, etc.
You will see that the size of the file will go down a lot.

- use rsync and also in this case exclude everything you do not need to
backup.

Ivan

--
Ivan Virgili