alternative to `tar`

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Fri Jan 4 16:39:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 04:54:03PM +0100, Guillaume wrote:
> actually, I use the tar utility to backup my fedora box to a file...
> Is there a way to speed up the restore process with any options to
> tar, or, any other command utility to use for my backup.

Hmm...dunno if it'll be any faster, but you could try cpio.  It's another
old standby, and uses a different directory structure.  But it sounds
like you're dealing with a lot of data, so there are still a lot of bytes
to slap around.

Others have mentioned rsync.  If you want actual backup, take a look at
Amanda, but be prepared--it's relatively complex.
--
	Dave Ihnat
	President, DMINET Consulting, Inc.
	dihnat at dminet.com