RFC: Fedora Xfce Spin

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 21:06:46 UTC 2008

On Jan 3, 2008 12:48 PM, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Fedora Xfce Spin is a variant of Fedora with a focus on low resource
> systems and in particular Xfce users. It is a live cd image that you can
> optionally install to hard disk or USB images.
>
> I have a kickstart file available at
>
> http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/livecd-fedora-8-xfce.ks
>
> This is meant for Fedora 8.  You can either take a look at the list of
> packages or try creating a local image
>
> # yum install livecd-tools
> # livecd-creator --config <kickstart file>
>
> You might want to use a local mirror and --cache option to
> livecd-creator. Creating local customizations is trivial. Comments,
> fixes and suggestions, welcome.

Thanks for this, Rahul.

After disabling the repos listed in that xfce ks file (since the the
base ks file had ones that worked and are inherited), pointing it to
the location of the default local base ks file and putting selinux in
permissive mode (otherwise it blows up my Gnome desktop as soon as
selinux-policy-targetted starts installing), I finally made my first
custom built Fedora LiveCD! Exciting stuff.

Now I have to figure out the best way to do some custom desktop
configuration (adding notes, desktop shortcuts, default themes, etc.)
before building the ISO file ... I'm guessing there is some kickstart
magic that I have yet to learn.

/Mike