java again really

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 22:39:01 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 10:58 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> > > What is wrong with the document?
> > >

> > Funny you should ask :-)
> >
> > The document is good but it appears the two lib files are already on F8
> > and it leaves out the most important part. You need to use the new java
> > when you call java from a terminal. I got done with the document but
> > when I would type java -version I got the wimpy version Fedora sends.
> >
> >     So I looked at /usr/bin/java and it is linked to
> > /etc/alternatives/java. So I mv java old.java. Then link to the new java
> > with this:
> >
> > [root at k5di bin]# ln -s  /usr/java/default/bin/java /etc/alternatives/java
> >
> > The default/bin/java will be the latest one in the /usr/java/ directory.
> >
> >     With this addition my jedit was installed fast and it works right. I
> > needs to be added to the document.
>
> No, what needs to be added to the document is instructions on how to use
> the alternatives facility to get these links set up properly.
>
> I can understand how Karl or anyone else might be led to fix these
> things up by hand, as above, but it's better to use the tool designed
> for the job.  But in order to do so, one needs to know what that tool
> is.  It's not as common knowledge as it ought to be.
>
> man alternatives

That's why I pointed out stanton-finley.net
I had no clue what alternatives was when I followed Stanton's java
howto. Maybe if someone could examine it, cut and paste it with edits
for FC7 or FC8, it would be of benefit for a lot of simple folks. So,
there is no need to re-invent the wheel, so to speak. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar