dynamic dns dhcp dealing with invalid host names

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Jan 5 09:29:00 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 13:50 -0800, Tim Alberts wrote:
>> Can I configure DHCP/DNS to accept this or better yet, refuse to get
>> them an address if the name is invalid?
>
> You might have a look through "man dhcp-eval" and see if you can figure
> out a way to check for spaces in DHCP-client-supplied hostnames to alter
> if they get assigned an IP.
>
> Alternatively, you can have a pre-set-up list of hostnames and IP
> addresses to be assigned to them, and everything else gets shunned.  If
> you only have a small number of clients to deal with, this may be easier
> to implement.

Your own list of names works well, just turn off the feature in dhcpd.conf.

Macs change their names to the corresponding host name (you need to
configure forward and reverse zones). Some Linux systems do some of the
time, some all the time (SUSE I recall). Windows, I don't know, but
probably not, it would interfere with AD.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait