some simple questions on VNC

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Jan 5 20:57:13 UTC 2008

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   nothing serious, just some grotty details to clear up.
>
> 1) on the server side, is the equivalence between the listening TCP
> port and the display number a 1:1 mapping?  that is, does port 5901
> always represent display number :1, port 5902 display number :2 and so
> on?  it certainly *seems* that way, i just want to make sure.

So the documentation says.

> 2) apparently, although the man page for "vncviewer" doesn't mention
> it, you can view to a given port number rather than a display number.
> so either of the following would work equally well:
>
>   $ vncviewer 192.168.1.100:5
>   $ vncviewer 192.168.1.100:5905
>
> although as long as there is that 1:1 mapping, there would seem to be
> little point using the port number since the display number would work
> just as well and is clearly shorter.

You need to verify this with other VNC implementations (TightVNC is
fairly popular). If yoy are correct, you might also report it as a bug,
either it works incorrectly or it's documented incorrectly.

> 3) on the server side, what is the purpose of the *other* ports
> associated with each listening port?  that is, after i start vncserver
> listening on port, say, 5917, i can see listening ports 5817 and 6017
> suddenly active as well.  what are they for?

I've already mentioned 5817; it is documented.

6017 I think is X being X.

Try this:
In your VNC session, open a terminal and run the command
xhost +

and from another host or session
DISPLAY=vnchost:17 xterm
(making the proper substitution for vnchost).

I believe one can use this to get anaconda to display on another system
than the install box by setting DISPLAY in the boot menu.

> rday
> --

> Robert P. J. Day
> Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry
> Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
>
> Home page:                                         http://crashcourse.ca
> Fedora Cookbook:    http://crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Fedora_Cookbook

Cheers