Google Earth

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Jan 6 00:11:23 UTC 2008

Duane Clark wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>> Cameron Simpson wrote:

>>> It may just blow the mind of your machine. It needs a fair bit of
>>> memory
>>> and decent 3d support (OpenGL). It sounds like its crashing your X
>>> server, which is arguably a bug in the X server, not google earth.
>>>
>>     It's the only thing that has ever done this. I have 2 gig of RAM
>> and lots of hard drive space. The X-server is Nvidia and it might not
>> like what Google is asking for.
>
> Do you mean the video driver is Nvidia (the video driver is different
> from the X server)? I use the livna Nvidia driver, kmod-nvidia, on an
> F7 system with a GeForce 7900 GS video card, and Google earth works
> quite well.

    To be exactly right the video card is made by Nvidia and will not
work at all well unless I get the Linux driver software which in my case
is in a bash file from the Nvidia web page. Everything else seems to
work fine and I seem to have some 3D effects as expected.

    I have a F7 system on this computer and I will try GoogleEarth there.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User