Floods of Emails Coming In To /var/spool/mqueue

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Jan 6 23:27:21 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Robert L Cochran wrote:
>> I have a server box running Fedora Core 2 which hasn't been updated
>> since sendmail 8.12.11-4.6.
>
> If this machine is internet-exposed, you should replace it immediately
> with something that is still getting security updates.

I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to do an in-place
replacement of the operating system. I can install a second physical
hard drive, install Fedora 8 or CentOS 5 on that, and then start
migrating data from the FC 2 system to the new one over several days
time. I can use grub to switch between the two. Then when all looks
ready, switch to the (far newer) system. Probably the biggest problem
will be migrating my two mailing lists from mailman 2.1.5-10 to whatever
version is out there now.

> My favorite is MimeDefang as a front end to clamav and spamassassin.
> You can reject anything containing viruses or extremely high spam
> scores  and add a header to intermediate spam scores that mailman can
> detect for moderation.  It's a little work to set up, though.

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

Bob