some simple questions on VNC

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Jan 7 10:42:26 UTC 2008

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, John Summerfield wrote:

> Tom Horsley wrote:
> > On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 09:43:11 -0500 (EST)
> > "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> > > should i have expected that?  there's nothing in the man page for
> > > vncviewer that remotely suggests a "::" variation.  (this is all based
> > > on the stock f8 vnc packages -- no tightvnc tests yet.)
> >
> > I don't think I've ever seen :: in the man page either, but I did
> > see it in some web pages when looking up how to forward through
> > ssh, and it is useful there if you forward to a local port number
> > that isn't in the 59xx range. The results you got would tend to
> > suggest that vncviewer will try with and without adding 5900 if
> > you use a single :, but it only tries the specific port number if
> > you use a double :: (and of course the tightvnc viewer may act
> > different than the realvnc viewer).
> >

> I think it's worth troubling BZ. One time I wanted to connect to a
> server outside the official port range (trying to get an Apple
> desktop which, it was said, used a variation on VNC). I overcame it
> with ssh and port forwarding, but :: would have been neater.
>
> I wonder whether something can go between the colons?

i don't think so, based on this snippet of the source from the vnc
source rpm, the file VNCViewer.java:

  vncServerName.setParam(host + ((port >= 5900 && port <= 5999)
                                       ? (":"+(port-5900))
                                       : ("::"+port)));

so ":" is to be used for the display number, while "::" should be used
for the explicit port number but, somewhere, the code is forgiving
enough to let you use the actual port number with a single ":".  i
don't think i'm interested enough to track down *that* bit of code.
:-)

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA