Trouble installing Linksys WMP54G wireless PCI adapter Fedora 8

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Mon Jan 7 18:54:54 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 01:15:36PM +0100, Frank8 wrote:
> I did get it to work in the end. The trick is firmware.  I downloaded the install (The one that had 2561 in it) from http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html [1]  but I didn't install it.  I did however copy the three firmware files rt2561.bin  rt2561s.bin  rt2661.bin into the /lib/firmare directory. I also turn on NetworkManager with chkconfig and service.
> After that it just worked.
>
> Ralink makes the chipset in my wireless card.
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html

Well I am glad that you figured this out.  However, it might have
been easier to do this:

	yum install rt61pci-firmware

Perhaps that will save you some problems in the future?  You might
even want to switch to the package now, just in case there are firmware
upgrades required to work with future kernels.  That way 'yum update'
should take care of the firmware as well.

John
--
John W. Linville
linville at redhat.com