Appalling desktop performance in F8

Alastair Neil ajneil at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 16:14:09 UTC 2008

Has anyone else experienced terrible desktop performance with F8.  Under F7
on the same hardware I never had any significant problems, now it appears
several times a day my desktop locks up (or appears to), mouse movement
seems unaffected yet windows are unresponsive and I cannot move of select
any windows or panel objects, even the ctrl-alt-f virtual terminal sequence
seems to be ignored.  The media player continues happily playing audio. CPU
load seems pretty high during these lockups and pulseaudio appears to be
consuming much of it.  Usually if I am patient the system unlocks, however
often I resort to extreme measures.

Typically I used to have under F7 firefox, thunderbird several gnome
terminals, rhythmbox and occasionally openoffice open.  I have now resorted
to epiphany, thunderbird and quodlibet ( I cannot use evolution these days,
I have become addicted to the grouped by sort G  feature).

The system itself is a P4 2.8 GHZ Dell optiplex 270 with 2 Gbytes of memory
and an older nvidia card with two 19 inch monitors. I am using the
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-96xx drivers and my home directory is mounted via NFSv3
over gigabit ethernet.

I'd appreciate knowing if anyone else has had similar problems before I roll
back to F7.  It is possible that I am having hardware problems, so the F7
roll back may not help.

Regards, Alastair Neil