Appalling desktop performance in F8

Alastair Neil ajneil at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 17:11:36 UTC 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 11:47 AM, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

> > I'd appreciate knowing if anyone else has had similar problems before I
> roll
> > back to F7.  It is possible that I am having hardware problems, so the
> F7
> > roll back may not help.
>
> I am seeing some similar problems with gnome based FC8 applications
> leaking memory horribly which they didn't do before. Not quite the same
> as you report however.
>
> Is there anything logged in dmesg when your system stalls ?
>
> hmm
I have not checked, I suppose I should have done that first :).  I initially
believed that memory leaks were the culpret as I was seeing my swap slowing
filling up even with modest usage this is why I started switching
applications to see if things got better.

I'll check, I now have two terminals pegged on all desktops and always on
top running top in one and tailing the syslog in the other.