Appalling desktop performance in F8

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Tue Jan 8 19:45:59 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 08 January 2008 17:47, Alan Cox wrote:
> > I'd appreciate knowing if anyone else has had similar problems before I
> > roll back to F7.  It is possible that I am having hardware problems, so
> > the F7 roll back may not help.
>
> I am seeing some similar problems with gnome based FC8 applications
> leaking memory horribly which they didn't do before. Not quite the same
> as you report however.
>
> Is there anything logged in dmesg when your system stalls ?

The problem I have on F8 with KDE is that there is horrible flickering on the
right hand edges of all windows, and icons. I've only had that before on FC2
on the same machine, while running Boinc.

At the moment, I have Archlinux booted up on this machine, and the KDE desktop
is rock steady, not the slightest flicker. The same goes for F7, and FC5, and
my Debian installs on this machine. It's odd why F8 is behaving this way.

I have had the desktop totally lockup on this machine, needing a hard reset,
but I run so many distro's on it that I can't remember which one it was.Doh.

Nigel.