VNC and a full login Gnome session with GDM

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 01:09:16 UTC 2008

Hi,

Since VNC is the theme of the week, and since a question was asked
about getting a full gnome session going over VNC, I thought I'd post
a recipe that, once discussed and verified might make a good addition
to rjday's cookbook.

0) Make sure that xinetd is installed on the remote server (yum
install xinetd if not)

1) Create the file in /etc/xinetd.d/vnc with the following contents on
the remote server
service vnc
{
disable         =       no
socket-type     =       stream
protocol        =       tcp
group           =       tty
wait            =       no
user            =       nobody
server          =       /usr/bin/Xvnc
server_args     =       -inetd :1 -query localhost -geometry 1024x768
-depth 24 -once -fp /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc/ -securitytypes=none
}

[NOTE: the server_args should all be one line but may have line
wrapped in this email]

2) Add a line to the bottom of /etc/services on the remote server which reads:
vnc           6900/tcp

3) Fire up a terminal on the local machine and type
vncviewer -via username at remote.server localhost::6900

4) Marvel as a vnc client opens up and presents you with a GDM login
screen, and you can log in (as any user) and have your full desktop.

This was scraped together from a lot of sources on the net, and a lot
of trial and error, so hopefulyl this will save someone some time.

Of course, you can add more servers with different resolutions etc. on
different ports. I chose 6900 to stay away from the 5900 ports
traditionally used for vnc servers running user sessions without a
login manager.

J.