ATI driver: possible without livna/ATI's huge *.run one?

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 02:13:32 UTC 2008

Strong wrote:
> I want to install proprietary ATI driver as the free one does not make
> 3D for me. But here I got a problem: I was searching a lot in google
> and found that the I have 2 options for me left to do this:
>
> 1. Use livna's package;
> 2. Install huge 50Mb driver from ATI's site.
>
> I do not want second because of the expanses on traffic (and I was
> unable to find one by their search engine for my hardware exactly:
> Radeon Xpress 1100 IGP (it is on laptop Dell Inspiron 1501) and thus
> resude its size), I would the first case but the repo.s I use (atrpms
> tigro rpmforge dries freshrpms) tell me that they are not compatible
> with the livna, because livna has some bad politics relating to other
> (these mentioned ones) repos.
>
> So, my question is, Am I correct? If not where I can the driver for my
> F8? Big thanks for advice.

1. The livna repository is indeed incompatible with other ones (e.g.
atrpms). However, you can still use it if you enable it manually only.
Set it up, then edit file /etc/yum.repos.d/livna.repo: change enabled=0
(from enabled=1). Then, install using this command:
# yum install --enablerepo=livna kmod-fglrx

2. ATI driver is exactly the same, no matter which hardware you pick
(they just do it to track who has what). It does include generators for
multiple distros (not sure how much space that takes up). Livna
obviously has the packages only for the RH family, so they're somewhat
smaller. The binary content should be more or less the same, however.

HTH