LDAP be killing me. I need a good step by step

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Jan 9 06:42:55 UTC 2008

Ric Moore wrote:
>>> missing"(tm) in them. Someone please direct me to "something that just
>>> works."(tm) as it's making me blind, crazy, old and cranky. Ric
>> Maybe you could start by tell folks what you need/want?  I think your
>> request is way to general.  I know you are blind, crazy, and cranky...but
>> stop and think for a moment.
>

> Just a really good tried and true website reference for setting up ldap.
> I've googled, went to various sites which all are a bit different from
> each other, in procedure, and none has resulted in a working ldap
> server. Even after trying to mentally diff them and come up with
> something in the middle. Ergo, my appeal is to someone/anyone that has
> used a webpage reference that works, step by step, I'd dearly love to
> have it. I'm trying to use openldap. I thought sendmail was difficult.
> It's a cakewalk compared to ldap/openldap. :) Ric

Have you tried starting at step 8 from this quick start guide?

http://docs.huihoo.com/openldap/admin23/quickstart.html

I just did it and got a working directory up in 3 minutes time.  That
included the time it took to install openldap-servers.

--
The man on tops walks a lonely street; the "chain" of command is often a noose.