Upgrade Hard Drive

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 9 20:25:13 UTC 2008

Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2008 2:37 PM, John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
>> Michael Wiktowy wrote:
>>
>>> to make sure they don't conflict when you mount them . From the CD you
>>> can non-destructively resize the new partitions to take up more space
>>> on the new drive (as I am assuming that is why you are moving to a new
>> I am sure that is only possible with the partition adjacent to the space.
>
> Yes ... but you can move that space to be adjacent to any partition by
> moving the paritions around and then resize the partition to fill the
> gap, AFAIK. Although I can't recall if gparted is up to the task of
> doing that.

In principle, yes you can. If I wanted to do such a thing, then I would
copy partition at a time, much as Tom outlined. To make it bootable, I'd
reinstall grub on the target drive.

> Also with LVM, I believe you can just make a new Physical Volume and
> extend your Logical Volume to include it no matter where it is (non
> adjacent partition or different disk). But I am not experienced with
> LVM as it seemed overkill for my simple partitioning needs and haven't
> played with it much so take what I have to say about LVM with a grain
> of salt.

Probably you can, though I would not willingly do it on the same drive.
Performance would be shocking.

> In any case, based on the OPs message, with his configuration, doing a
> dd will most certainly leave unpartitioned space adjacently after his
> second partition.

and possibly fdisk, if asked, will cast nasturtiums on the partition
table, but in my experience there's no real problem.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait