[F8] Installing MP3 for Amarok? How?

Paul Lemmons paul.lemmons at tmcaz.com
Thu Jan 10 19:39:45 UTC 2008

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: [F8] Installing MP3 for Amarok?  How?
From: Dan Thurman <dant at cdkkt.com>
To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Date: 01/10/2008 12:19 PM

<snip>

>> yum install mplayer, mplayer-gui, mplayer-fonts but I seem to recall
>> that you had some Fedora 6 version of something or other stuck which
>> would probably block the installation.
>
> I already installed the above stuff and it took.  It just does not recognize
> the WMA files.  I'll figure this out eventually.
>
> Now, a new "problem":
>
> I store most of my music files on a windoes server and would like to know what
> I need to do to get Amarok on Fedora to recogize the NTFS filesystem URL.
> Amarok seems to complain that it does not know how to use the smb://<music
> files> or so it seems.  Maybe I need to install the NTFS support files for
> this one, but I will defer this since it seems I don't really need to do this
> since it *seems* to be already supported...
>
> What I did was to open 'Computer->Network->SystemName->M$->Music', the
> drag and drop a Music Directory into Playlist and the playlist was populated
> with all of the supported music files.  It is interesting that
> the 'Directory' column shows the 'smb://SystemName/...' for all of the files
> that were dropped there.  But when I double-click the specific file to play,
> an error pops up saying:
>
> No suitable input plugin. This often means that the url's protocol is not
> supported. Network failures are other possible causes.
> smb://<SystemName>/M$/Music/classical/Mozart-Requeim.mp3
>
> What do I need to do to get this to work?
>
> Thanks!

WMA support... I think is at:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html#binary_codecs

Because your music on on a network drive you do not need to do anything
with ntfs. The easiest thing to do would be to mount the network drive
locally and have it appear like any other directory.

Two links that might help:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO-8.html
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/configure-a-system-to-automount-a-samba-share-with-etcfstab/