Appalling desktop performance in F8

Alastair Neil ajneil at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 20:07:20 UTC 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 11:14 AM, Alastair Neil <ajneil at gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone else experienced terrible desktop performance with F8.  Under
> F7 on the same hardware I never had any significant problems, now it appears
> several times a day my desktop locks up (or appears to), mouse movement
> seems unaffected yet windows are unresponsive and I cannot move of select
> any windows or panel objects, even the ctrl-alt-f virtual terminal sequence
> seems to be ignored.  The media player continues happily playing audio. CPU
> load seems pretty high during these lockups and pulseaudio appears to be
> consuming much of it.  Usually if I am patient the system unlocks, however
> often I resort to extreme measures.
>
> Typically I used to have under F7 firefox, thunderbird several gnome
> terminals, rhythmbox and occasionally openoffice open.  I have now resorted
> to epiphany, thunderbird and quodlibet ( I cannot use evolution these days,
> I have become addicted to the grouped by sort G  feature).
>
> The system itself is a P4 2.8 GHZ Dell optiplex 270 with 2 Gbytes of
> memory and an older nvidia card with two 19 inch monitors. I am using the
> xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-96xx drivers and my home directory is mounted via NFSv3
> over gigabit ethernet.
>
> I'd appreciate knowing if anyone else has had similar problems before I
> roll back to F7.  It is possible that I am having hardware problems, so the
> F7 roll back may not help.
>
> Regards, Alastair Neil

As a follow up, I've now gone two days with out any form of lockups or
stutters.  I assume the last batch of updates did the trick, either that or
I have shamed it into compliance with a post to the mailing list :).

On the Plus side I've decided to stick with epiphany as I have found I
really don't miss any functionality.

Regards, Alastair